93 bikers, 67 crew car 33 trucks have crossed the finish line of the 28in Euromilhoes-Lisboa-Dakar. Spaniard Marc Coma was crowned the winner for the first time.
In memory of the two boys who died when the Dakar in Guinea and Senegal, the Rose Lake special was canceled and was then considered the ranking after the stage nr. 14 that from Tambacounda brought in Dakar.
Marc Coma secured overall victory in the motorcycle category keeping expectations after the departure of Lisbon.
The Spaniard prevailed over defending champion Cyril Despres, continuing the series of school achievements iberica which had brought to the fore even Jordi Arcarons and Nani Roma.
The competition however has not extricated though as expected, the goal of Despres begin cautiously and then start attacking in Mauritania, but the plan was disrupted by a crash at km 273 of the stage Tan Tan – Zouerate. The French blamed the leaking of a shoulder but bravely continued the race also played some brilliant special tests like that of Nouakchott, where has contributed to the success of teammate David Casteu, or as Brian, where he subtracted a few precious minutes in Coma, ending with four special won despite some loss of path.
Isidre Esteve He could be the successor to Despres and give the title to team KTM Gauloises, but after a fall in Nouakchott – Brian had to retire for physical damage reported. Coma was released unharmed by the over 9.000 km route, making sure the success which he dedicated to teammate disappeared Andy Caldecott.
Alain Duclos, a native of Bamako, It is imposed in class Marathon thanks to 7° place. Also highlights u.s. pilots Chris Blais, 4th overall, and Jonah Street, 17° at its premiere already used to.
The private class without assistance if the won the French Patrice Carillon (29th overall), While the female is successful Patricia Watson-Miller, After the defending champion Ludivine Puy's departure from the scene in Tambacounda for an accident.
Marc Coma: “I dedicate my victory to Andy Caldecott. It doesn't seem real yet that I won the Dakar, It's really a strange feeling. I thank all those who have helped me, starting with Jordi strip contains.”
Giovanni Sala: “Saturday was very difficult, I missed until I saw the Americans. then I took many risks to maintain third position. I'm so glad, in the first part of the race I went cautious, then a little at a time I increased the tempo and I approached the leader. If you had told me I'd be in Lisbon finished in the top five, we would have done it for the signature, and instead I ended up on the podium. And’ really cool!”
Carlo de Gavardo: “The most important thing in this race is to arrive in Dakar, words can't express what you feel when you arrive at the pink Lake. For me is the result of a job that lasted a whole year, in few can understand how hard is it to get in the top five”.
Final standings motorcycles:
1. Coma (Repsol KTM), 55:27:17 h
2. Despres (Gauloises KTM), 56:40:46 h, + 01:13:29 h
3. Hall (Repsol KTM), 53:50:25 h, + 02:29:48 h
4. Blais (Red Bull USAKTM), 58:03:35 h, + 02:36:18 h
5. De Gavardo (Repsol KTM), 58:50:04 h, + 03:22:47 h, Penalty: 01.00:00 h
6. Ullevalseter (KTM), 59:22:09 h, + 03:54:52 h
7. Duclos (KTM), 60:11:13 h, + 04:43:56 h
8. Casteu (Gauloises KTM), 61:43:38 h, + 06:16:21 h
9. Rodrigues (YAMAHA), 62:21:58 h, + 06:54:41 h, Penalty: 02:00:00 h
10. Vinters (KTM), 63:20:31 h, + 07:53:14 h
11. Gau (Gauloises KTM), 63:21:22 h, + 07:54:05 h
12. Julia (YAMAHA), 63:56:44 h, + 08:29:27 h
13. Fretigne (YAMAHA), 64:13:13 h, + 08:45:56 h
14. Czachor (YAMAHA), 64:14:11 h, +08:46:54 h
15. Algay (YAMAHA), 64:15:25 h, + 08:48:08 h r